Wednesday, April 6, 2011

It's spring again


A long time since I've posted. But spring finally came this week in Minneapolis and like a genetic switch in me, the need to plant has come on strong!

It's still chilly at night. So I've only started to plant my fresh herbs. I start them indoors, in my front porch, where they can get some tremendous sunlight during the morning and early afternoon hours. BIggest thing is that they're protected from the chill at night.

Yesterday I planted three square home-made earthboxes.

1: Rosemary, basil x 2, mint
2: Thyme, basil, Italian parsley, mint
3: Oregano, marjoram, thyme, sage

You can see that I've got the cornerstones of the herb garden going, what I like to refer to as Simon & Garfunkel (parsley, sage...)

Also, basil for pesto (to freeze for winter) and caprese salads for a summer of goodness.

And mint for a summer's worth of mojitos (the warm-weather gardener's best friend).

It doesn't take much room to get these precious babies started. All you need is a sunny window.

And then you can stop paying for those little plastic packages of herbs at your local grocery store! (At least until November).

No comments:

Post a Comment