Monday, April 5, 2010

Hoop houses for salad tables

So yesterday - after only 6 days since planting!?! - my rapini and arugula started to hit the underside of the old windows acting as cold-frame covers.

I bumped into my neighbor Jack, who told me he'd rigged a hoop-house over his salad table. He showed me what he did, gave me some of his wood-strips and plastic sheeting.

And now we have the Salad Table Mach Two.

Low and behold how easy it is to cover. Jack and I intend to leave our hoop-house structures up all season. Come the warm weather, we might cover with mesh for a bit of shade. Come fall - I'll put the plastic back on to give us a few more weeks (or maybe even months - we'll see how it works) of fresh and essentially free greens.

Here is how to build the hoop-house frame...


Here is what it looks like the the plastic cover on top...

No comments:

Post a Comment